In this page:
Market Access Procedures |
Reaching the Consumers |
Distributing a Product |
Organizing Goods Transport |
Identifying a Supplier
Market Access Procedures
- International Conventions
Party to the Kyoto Protocol
Party to the Montreal Protocol on Substances That Deplete the Ozone Layer
- Main International Economic Cooperation
- Uzbekistan is a part of two big regional organizations - The Economic Eurasiatic Community and the Organization of Economic Cooperation.
- Non Tariff Barriers
- There are lists of 'non-priority' goods for which no authorization is granted (for some food products and drinks). There is another 'negative list' which includes certain high quality textiles, carpets, crystals, foodstuffs for dogs and cats and tourist cars.
Imports of medicines, firearms, precious metals, uranium and other radioactive products, foreign and "research data" movies and videos are submitted to a very strict import authorization. The import of publications, manuscripts, video, audio and photo instruments "likely to do harm to the State and the Social order", as well as pornographic material are prohibited.
Export is also strictly regulated : in principle, cereals, bakery products, meat and live animals, milk powder, tea, sugar, etc. cannot be exported.
- Customs Duties and Taxes on Imports
- Visit the website of the State Customs Committee of Uzbekistan.
- Customs Classification
- In June 2008, Uzbekistan was among the countries that expressed their intention to apply the norms of the World Customs Organization, which envisages the security and facilitation of world trade.
Also visit the website of the United Nations and that of the Customs Committee.
- The registration of an import contract for a value equal or less than 50 000 USD, is done within 5 working days after its submission at the Uzbek Ministry for Exterior Economic Relations. For a value greater than 50 000 USD, the registration is done within 10 working days after its declaration.
For an import contract that has been appraised and depending on the quantity and quality of the delivery as well as the price level, registration should be carried out within 2 working days from the time of submission of documents, except if prior authorization is required. After a final positive decision, the contract is registered in the official register according the type of registration certificate of the contract.
- For Further Information
Website of the State Customs Committee of Uzbekistan
Learn more about Traders, Agents in Uzbekistan on Globaltrade.net, the Directory for International Trade Service Providers.
Reaching the Consumers
The consumption habit is to buy day to day, as and when the need arises.
Consumer Profile and Purchasing Power
The purchasing power is very low for a major part of the population (more than a fourth of the population lives below the poverty line).
Main Advertising Agencies
JC Decaux UZ
Color IT Design Inc.
Distributing a Product
- Market Shares
The distribution system of foodstuffs corresponds to the lifestyle of the Uzbeks. Markets (souks) exist alongside small supermarkets that sell the same type of products. The latter are mostly situated at cross-roads whereas the souks are organized area-wise. In addition, all along the roads, independent sellers offer products from their agricultural activities. The distribution circuits are quite small. There exists two types of retail trade. The first consists of road-side markets, targeted mostly at a low-income population. The second type is mostly reserved for the rich people and for foreigners. There are no retail chains here. The supermarkets belong to foreign firms, notably Turkish. There is no specific brand of distributor.
Learn more about Sales in Uzbekistan on Globaltrade.net, the Directory for International Trade Service Providers.
© Export Entreprises SA, All Rights Reserved.
Last Updates: January 2015