Our Featured Country
Canada is the largest trade partner of the US, accounting for 20% of US exports (first place) and 16% of its imports (second place just after China).
Canada is an advanced economy. The country is a leader in biotechnology, chemistry, digital media and medical devices. Canada is also one of the largest exporters of agricultural products, plastics and automotive in the world. Visit Industry Canada to get more information about Canadian industry.
The country has a market of 33 million. Canadians are mature consumers: they benefit from a standard of living that is one of the highest in the world and they are aware of the problems of the environment and over-consumption. Natural and environment-friendly products are preferred.
To build your business with Canada, take a look at Canada Business, where you will find a lot of practical information such as “Starting a Business,” Import/export, Selling to the government, etc. And don't forget the website of the U.S. Commercial Service in Canada. The site gives extensive information about the market with news and guides, and it lists many conferences, trade missions and training sessions.
If that's not enough, you'll also find plenty of good research at the Canada Mini Portal, a feature of the FITA Web site. The Canadian Mini Portal has an overview of Canada, with facts about the language, currency, climate, etc., plus more specific information about the economy, markets, taxes, labor market indicators, and tips on doing business in Canada.
The Canadian Mini Portal is one of many research gateways at the FITA site. To find Mini Portals for other regions or countries, just click on "Country Profiles" from within a Mini Portal, or at the FITA home page.
Company Registration Around the World
Official Company Registration Websites
Do you want to set up a new company in China? Or a subsidiary in Italy? Commercial Register is the place to find a link to the information you need. Although it is the website of the Commercial Register of the Canton of St Gallen in Switzerland, it provides a page of useful links to official government websites about company registration in more than 55 countries.
CONECT’s 14th Annual Northeast Trade & Transportation Conference
March 10-12, Newport, RI
CONECT (Coalition of New England Companies for Trade) presents 3 days of programming for businesses in international trade & transportation. Seminar topics include Export Compliance, Enforcement and Trade Barriers. Importers' Compliance, New Trends in Overseas Sourcing; Global Economic Assessment; How to Green Your Supply Chain; and US Logistics Overview. Updates from Washington DC, an "Off the Record" session, and several keynote speakers will address the conference. Location is Hyatt Regency Hotel, Goat Island, Newport RI. Click here for further information on prices, speakers and topics or contact email@example.com or 508-481-0424.
Readymade Market Studies Online
Understanding a new international market is time consuming and not easy to do when you are looking into a country you don’t know well. To save time and money as well it can be useful to buy readymade market reports. Euromonitor International is one of the world's leading independent providers of business intelligence on industries, countries and consumers. Visit the website to see if the market study you need is available.
My Own Business
A Guide to Developing your Small Business
Do you have your own business? Is it time to get involved with international markets? Do you know that 96% of US exporters are small companies? My Own Business can help you to succeed in business abroad. The website provides online courses trough downloadable documents or videos. And have a special look at Session Fourteen, which trains you to get your small business to trade internationally.
FITA Career Headquarters
Assistant Professor of International Business
In the FITA Career Headquarters job seekers can now apply for jobs online and post their resume--free of charge--in an exclusive database that will be searched by hundreds of industry employers seeking employees with international degrees and/or related work experience. Featured this week is a listing for an Assistant Professor of International Business at George Washington University in Washington, DC. Click here to browse more than 700 other positions!
Employers - Click here to advertise your job openings on FITA's Career HQ.
Let the jobs come to you! Employers are looking for people with international skills. Post your resume TODAY and reap the rewards of the FITA Career HQ! And with a FITA Career HQ job agent, you can decide what kind of job you are looking for and let the system do the searching for you. Simply set up specific search parameters in a Job Agent, and whenever a job is posted that matches your criteria, you'll be notified automatically via email. It's that easy!
U.S. Commercial Service Events and Webinars
Resources for Going Global
The U.S. Commercial Service, a division of the International Trade Administration of the U.S. Department of Commerce, sponsors and participates in many events and webinars that help U.S. exporters sell overseas and help overseas buyers learn about U.S. exports. The Commercial Service has a searchable database of these events worldwide at http://www.export.gov/each/trade_events.asp. Below are some upcoming events:
- Baker & McKenzie International Export Webinar Series - February - May, 2010. Four hour and a half webinar programs for companies involved in international trade.
- Census' Foreign Trade Regulations Webinar Series -
Starts March 22. Learn about the mandatory Foreign Trade Regulations governing the export of products overseas.
- The A,B,C’s of Financing and Expanding Your Exports - New York City, March 22. A seminar focused on introducing exporters to the available financing, both traditional and alternative.
- Webinar Series: Exporting Made Easier, a six-part series of webinars until March 31 covering some basic and advanced elements of exporting .... Identify markets, understand documentation, learn methods of payment, classify products, and make the most of international trade shows.
- Webinar Series: Trade Winds 2010: “The Americas,” a series of webinars through March 2010 about doing business in the Americas. Identify the strongest markets for export for your products in North, Central and South America.
- Medical Trade Mission to India, March 8-13, 2010. A special trade mission for manufacturers of medical products/equipment, laboratory and diagnostics products and health care and related service providers.
- Green Industries Trade Mission to Europe - April 2010. FedEx and the U.S. Commercial Service are working together on a Green Industries Trade Mission (GITM) to Europe scheduled for April 11–16, 2010, with the objective of helping U.S. businesses expand internationally in this thriving market.
- FedEx - U.S. Commercial Service American Business Center at Hannover Industrial Fair 2010, U.S. companies can sign up for "Your Office" at the show for $1000.