EgyptSituated at the extreme north-eastern corner of the African continent, Egypt is an entry point to the Middle East and Africa. Because it owns the Suez Canal, Egypt administers all access between the Mediterranean Sea and the Indian Ocean, and thus most sea traffic between Europe and the Middle East, East Africa and Asia. 95% of Egypt's population is concentrated in the Nile river valley and delta, as most of the rest of the country is desert.
Our Featured Country
In 2008, imports of manufactured goods, machinery and transport equipment increased and accounted for around 45% of total imports. Mineral fuels, lubricants and related materials accounted for 44% of Egypt's exports in 2008. Top partners for exports in 2008 were Italy, India and the Netherlands. The “cradle of civilization” for centuries, Egypt has a large number of historic monuments and offers many sightseeing attractions. Tourism is therefore an important source of revenue for the country.
Egypt’s weak infrastructure can be an obstacle to trade. But the market has the advantage of being large (76 million inhabitants), homogeneous (more than 99% of the population is of Egyptian origin) and fast-growing. Egypt has high demand for new products and equipment, especially in information technology. But because of the weak purchasing power of the population, only the elite can afford higher-range consumer products.
To learn about doing business with Egypt, visit the Egyptian International Trade Point. The website provides directories, statistics, an online marketplace, a schedule of trade fairs and more. And don't forget the website of the U.S. Commercial Service in Egypt. The site gives extensive information about the markets through news and guides, and programs a lot of conferences, trade missions and training. You’ll also find plenty of good research at the Egypt Mini Portal, a feature of the FITA Web site. The Egypt Mini Portal has an overview of the country, with facts about the language, currency, climate, etc., plus more specific information about the economy, markets, taxes, labor market indicators and tips on doing business in Egypt.
The Egypt Mini Portal is one of many research gateways at the FITA site. To find Mini Portals for other regions or countries, just click on "Country Profiles" from within a Mini Portal, or at the FITA home page.
Database of Integrated Statistical Activities (DISA)
Your Statistics Directory
There are so many databases of economic and social indicators on the internet that it is often hard to find the best one when your need it. The Statistical Directory of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) is the place to go to find out which database you need when looking for statistics from any of its 56 member countries. It lists the activities of over 30 statistical organizations active in the UNECE region, including economic and social and demographic statistics. And you can find many of the actual statistics at the UNECE Statistical Database.
GET A FREE SOURCING MAGAZINE FROM GLOBAL SOURCES
As a Really Useful Sites subscriber, you can receive free e-magazines from Global Sources. Choose from 14 titles for insights into your specific industry. Each issue contains industry news, product trends, and product listings from quality suppliers in China and Asia.
Download your free sourcing e-magazines and contact verified suppliers directly.
Global Sources has helped buyers make confident China sourcing decisions for 40 years, through its magazines, online search directory and tradeshows. Learn more about its products and services at Global Sources.
Socially Responsible Business
The aim of this website is to promote Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). It lists international CSR events, news, jobs and resources that help to manage and understand how to behave responsibly in international business.
Get a Quote and Ship
Are you ready to make a shipment? Need a freight quote? Register at Freightquote.com and find what you need. Depending on the destination, you can immediately get an online comparison of several rate quotes provided by several carriers, or receive a reply by email in few hours. Contact information for each carrier offering quotes is provided.
FITA Career Headquarters
Export Compliance Administrator
In the FITA Career Headquarters job seekers can now apply for jobs online and post their resume--free of charge--in an exclusive database that will be searched by hundreds of industry employers seeking employees with international degrees and/or related work experience. Featured this week is a listing for an Export Compliance Administrator at Universal Avionics Systems Corporation in Tucson, AZ. Click here to browse more than 700 other positions!
Employers - Click here to advertise your job openings on FITA's Career HQ.
Let the jobs come to you! Employers are looking for people with international skills. Post your resume TODAY and reap the rewards of the FITA Career HQ! And with a FITA Career HQ job agent, you can decide what kind of job you are looking for and let the system do the searching for you. Simply set up specific search parameters in a Job Agent, and whenever a job is posted that matches your criteria, you'll be notified automatically via email. It's that easy!
U.S. Commercial Service Events and Webinars
Resources for Going Global
The U.S. Commercial Service, a division of the International Trade Administration of the U.S. Department of Commerce, sponsors and participates in many events and webinars that help U.S. exporters sell overseas and help overseas buyers learn about U.S. exports. The Commercial Service has a searchable database of these events worldwide at http://www.export.gov/each/trade_events.asp. Below are some upcoming events:
- EuroTrade Forum at the MEP National Conference, Orlando, FL, May 2-5. U.S. Commercial Service specialists will be available to assist you, your clients, and other invited manufacturers with exporting products and services to Europe.
- ANESA Conference - Minneapolis, MN. May 11-12. Learn about opportunities in Africa, Near East and South Asia. U.S. Commercial Service specialists from these regions will be available to assist you.
- Baker & McKenzie International Export Webinar Series - February - May, 2010. Four hour and a half webinar programs for companies involved in international trade.
- Census' Foreign Trade Regulations Webinar Series -
Starts March 22. Learn about the mandatory Foreign Trade Regulations governing the export of products overseas.
- The A,B,C’s of Financing and Expanding Your Exports - New York City, March 22. A seminar focused on introducing exporters to the available financing, both traditional and alternative.
- Webinar Series: Exporting Made Easier, a six-part series of webinars until March 31 covering some basic and advanced elements of exporting .... Identify markets, understand documentation, learn methods of payment, classify products, and make the most of international trade shows.
- Webinar Series: Trade Winds 2010: “The Americas,” a series of webinars through March 2010 about doing business in the Americas. Identify the strongest markets for export for your products in North, Central and South America.
- Green Industries Trade Mission to Europe - April 2010. FedEx and the U.S. Commercial Service are working together on a Green Industries Trade Mission (GITM) to Europe scheduled for April 11–16, 2010, with the objective of helping U.S. businesses expand internationally in this thriving market.
- FedEx - U.S. Commercial Service American Business Center at Hannover Industrial Fair 2010, U.S. companies can sign up for "Your Office" at the show for $1000.